New ArrivalEezy Roller Electric Rollator Wheelchair 4 in 1 Function
Top PicksD09 Heavy Duty Lightweight Folding Electric Power Wheelchair
Special OfferDash Eco Lightweight Powered Folding Wheelchair with Dual Attendant Controls
Dash eFold Lightweight Electric Auto Folding Power Wheelchair
Pride I-GO Lightweight Travel Folding Electric Powerchair
Pride i-GO Plus Lightweight Folding Electric Powerchair
Pride Fusion with Power Tilt and Power Recline Electric Power Chair
- Page 1 of 4
- Next page
- Appearance: Mobility scooters are like golf carts, while powered wheelchairs look more similar to wheelchairs.
- Sitting vs Standing: You sit to ride both scooters and powered wheelchairs.
- Wheel Number: Mobility Scooters have three or four wheels, whereas Powered Wheelchairs usually have four wheels or six wheels.
- Balance and Stability: You usually have to step up to get onto a mobility scooter, so it may be more challenging to access. but once you're riding it's pretty much identical to power wheelchairs in terms of stability. However, mobility scooters have handlebars that may add an extra sense of stability and control!
- Driving Method: Mobility scooters use a steering column for driving called a tiller, while powered wheelchairs don’t have handlebars and use a joystick for driving.
- Walking canes
- Knee scooters
- Mobility Scooters
- Sprained muscles
- Broken bones
- Back, hip, leg, knee, or foot pain or injuries
- Other walking impairments
- Balance impairments
- We’re here to help: Contact us or come by our showroom if you need more information or help with choosing a product.
- We allow test drives: We encourage you to come down to one of our showrooms in Letchworth or Harrow and test drive a few power chairs to make sure you are getting the right one for you.
- We can come to you: We understand that visiting our store may not be possible, so we can arrange for one of our staff to bring the power chairs to your home for you to try if you live within our home assessment area. We can also come to you if your chair needs repair while under warranty.
- We provide instruction: We will make sure you know how to use and care for your power chair.
- We provide free insurance: You get one month’s free insurance with your power chair.
- Off the Road and In Non-Paved Areas: You can ride a Class 2 or Class 3 power wheelchair up to 4 mph (6 km/h) maximum speed.
- Pavements, Footpaths, and Pedestrian Areas: You are allowed to drive Class 2 or Class 3 power wheelchairs on pavements and in pedestrian areas but you MUST NOT travel faster than 4 mph (6 km/h).
- On the road: You can only ride a Class 3 power wheelchair on the road with a speed of up to 8 mph. You cannot drive on bus lanes, ‘cycle only’ lanes, motorways, or dual carriageways with a speed limit of over 50mph.
- Can you lift the wheelchair into a vehicle?
- Do you need to fold the wheelchair to fit into the boot?
- Will you need a boot hoist to help lift the wheelchair?
- Will the wheelchair fit into the storage space you have?
- Will the wheelchair need a cover to protect it from the elements?
- Will you need to purchase or build a separate storage shed for the wheelchair?
- What type of support should the chair have?
- Do you need armrests?
- Will your hips fit between the armrests?
- Will your knees fit?
- Do you need the chair to swivel to help you get in?
- Will the scooter support your weight?
- Do you have enough money now to buy the electric wheelchair?
- Do you qualify for a free wheelchair or a grant?
- Do you qualify for financing?
- How much can you afford monthly if you finance the wheelchair?
- High Rate Motability Component of the Disability Living Allowance
- Personal Independent Payment
- War Pension Mobility Supplement
- Armed Forces Independent Payment
- Multi-Point Inspection - Every Approved Used Power wheelchair is put through a thorough inspection process before being put up for sale.
- Serviced together with Full Battery Tests - All Approved Used Power Wheelchairs are serviced before being sold to ensure optimum performance.
- 7 Day Exchange Plan* - Should your Approved Used Power Wheelchairs need replacing within 7 days of purchase, we will provide a replacement or a full refund depending on your preference.
- 3 Months Warranty - Purchase an Approved Used Power Wheelchair from us and you will receive up to 3 months warranty cover on it. This can be extended to 12 months for a small premium.
- Free One Month Insurance - With every Used Power Wheelchair we provide one months of Free Insurance.
- Free Engineer Delivery - With every Used Power Wheelchair we provide Free Engineer Delivery, Demonstration and Set-Up (worth £99.00) within our Home Assessment Area.
- You have a temporary injury.
- You want to try out a power chair for a while to see how much it helps before making a sizeable investment.
- You want to try out a power chair to determine if you feel comfortable using it for transportation.
- You’re visiting the area and don’t want to transport your power chair
- Gel cushions – comfortable cushions that help protect against the development of pressure sores.
- Proform Cushions – lightweight cushions that allow for airflow.
- Wheelchair panniers – versatile storage for small and larger items. Focus on the journey.
- Transfer boards – these smooth boards ease the transfer from furniture to a wheelchair including from the bed.
- Swivel seats – make it easy to turn in your car seat to transfer to your wheelchair.
The Ultimate Guide to Choosing the Best Power Chairs and Electric Wheelchairs in 2023
Power chairs and electric wheelchairs are a lifeline for many who have been diagnosed with mobility problems. These devices allow them to continue living a full life on their own terms. They allow elderly or disabled individuals to stay in their homes and move about independently without feeling isolated or alone.
We have the largest range of different types of power wheelchairs in-store or available to order to your specific requirements. Here you will find all our popular lightweight, and portable power wheelchairs for sale to help regain your freedom!
Mobility World is your one-stop-shop for all things power chair! We have a wide variety of portable models that are foldable and can be placed in the boot of a car. With features such as comfortable seats, ergonomic folding mechanisms to make transporting easier - these mobility aids offer maximum safety with total convenience.
All our extensive range of electric wheelchairs come complete with batteries so you are ready to use your chair as soon as you have taken delivery
We know that finding the perfect power chair isn't easy. With over thirty years of experience under our belts, we've carefully curated this selection for you! We have lightweight agile vehicles to meet all your needs from top brands such as Pride Power Chairs and Karma Mobility - no matter what style appeals most or a specification to suit your needs.
Come take a look today at these amazing power wheelchair brands!
We have a range of the best power wheelchairs in the UK for you to try out in-store or at home. Check our free home assessment areas, where we'll come to visit and provide a power wheelchair assessment in the comfort of your home. This free no obligation assessment and demonstration will enable you to try the product and see how these products can help you!
What is a Power Chair and WHO is it for?
Power Chair vs Mobility Scooter
Powered Chairs are designed to look more like regular wheelchairs than mobility scooters. They use a joystick for driving instead of handlebars.
Since you have to step up to get onto your mobility scooter, it might prove more difficult for some people. In addition, if required you can be hoisted into a Power Wheelchair.
Powered Wheelchairs and Mobility Scooters both assist someone with walking difficulties, but they serve different purposes.
Here are the main similarities and differences between the two:
Who is it for?
Power wheelchairs are not just for people who have had injuries or disabilities. They can be useful if you need help getting around because of physical conditions like arthritis, chronic back pain and other mobility issues. The best part? These days there is a specialized type of power wheelchair depending on your needs - whether it's indoors, in your home where space might limit options or outdoors on uneven terrain where typical wheelchairs or walkers won’t work well enough anymore.
Power Chairs for Physical Challenges
If you have temporary or permanent mobility issues related to walking or balancing, a power wheelchair can help you become more mobile and independent.
The elderly and those who are unable to walk due to a medical condition can benefit from using power chairs which can also replace:
You can use a power chair if you have serious medical conditions including any of these issues:
Power Chairs for Elderly
Power chairs are great for the elderly to get around if they have difficulty walking or standing. They can also help prevent falls and injuries.
What are the Different Types of Power Chairs?
Power chairs come in several types, each tailored to provide the assistance that you need:
Mini/Compact Travel Powerchairs
Mini or Compact Travel Power Chairs fold away snugly into the boot of your car, making it easier to take with you wherever life takes you. This type is strong yet lightweight for someone to lift into the boot of the car with ease. This makes them great for going shopping, days out or even holidays.
Plus these wheelchairs can be used at home without taking up too much room, are easily portable between locations like hospitals/wards, and are less bulky compared with larger models.
Outdoor All-Terrain Power Wheelchairs
The ultimate off-road companion for those looking to explore daunting terrains. No matter where you are or what type of terrain it is that has called your name, these chairs will get you there!
The all-terrain electric wheelchair will take you places that are too tough for a regular one. It can handle anything from parks, forests and other outdoor areas with rugged terrain, giving you the freedom and independence to explore locations that were inaccessible before.
Indoor Power Wheelchairs
Though outdoor power wheelchairs are more robust and deal with rougher terrain, they're also bulkier. An indoor chair is less likely to catch on doorframes and furniture.
Outdoor power wheelchairs are also a bit slow indoors because their tyres and casters are designed for rougher surfaces instead of smooth tiles. Try an indoor power wheelchair and notice how effortless it is to get around.
These power chairs not only provide exceptional performance but also offer outstanding stability, comfort and maneuverability especially indoors. Plus they're capable of being used outdoors when needed!
Folding Power Wheelchairs
Manual folding power chairs are the ultimate choice for those who need to move quickly and easily. Simply unfold and go!
Auto Folding Power Wheelchairs
Lightweight, compact, and easy to store - all the benefits of a folding power wheelchair plus an automatic folding feature with just one button push.
Hybrid Power Chair and Mobility Scooter Combination
Think of the freedom you'll get from being able to switch between a power chair and a scooter at will. The hybrid power chair is a versatile vehicle that’s equipped with all the features you would find on both mobility scooters and power chairs - such as a front basket, LED lights, adjustable stadium seat, and more.
Power Wheelchairs with Seat Lift
The development of power chairs has led to the creation of elevating seats. These new aids not only provide greater accessibility but also enhanced independence! The durable full suspension and lift mechanism allows you ultimate control when transferring yourself to the bed, drawing the curtains and reaching for items from top shelves.
Pediatric Power Wheelchairs
Pediatric power wheelchairs are designed to provide your kids with the mobility support they need to live a full and active life. It appeals to kids with its fun colors and compact size which allows your child to keep up with friends. Plus, its height-adjustable footplate lets the wheelchair grow with your child.
Jazzy® Sparky: Exceptional pediatric powered wheelchair
The Jazzy® Sparky is a powerful and compact pediatric power chair that comes with an assistant-operated only manual tilt and recline, making it perfect for children who need full rehab. Plus its compact design allows this little workhorse to keep up with today’s active child.
Prescription Power Wheelchairs
Prescription power chairs are built specifically for your needs and clinical requirements. These powerful wheeled devices come equipped with features such as tilt-in-space technology, seat raisers to ensure the perfect posture while you're sitting in it.
Which Is the Best Prescription Power Wheelchair?
There are so many great models out there on today’s market - but we've outlined our favorites below:
Quickie Power Wheelchairs
Q300 M Mini: The ultra-compact powerchair that's BIG on performance
The Q300 M Mini is born for small spaces. QUICKIE's narrowest mid-wheel drive powerchair. Compact space? Meet the ultra-slim 520 mm base!
Q700-UP M Sedeo Ergo: Redefining standing wheelchair technology
With the new Q700-UP M, you can stand up to 85 degrees and access environments from heights that are previously inaccessible. The biomechanical standing seating system also allows for six programmable memory positions which are tailored to your individual needs or preference - at one button press, there's your perfect setting!
Q200 R: The ultra-compact indoor/outdoor entry-level powerchair
The Q200 R offers the best of both worlds, with its durable exterior designed for outdoor use and greater stability that is equally at home indoors.
Quantum Power Wheelchairs
Edge 3: Most advanced power chair yet
The Edge 3 is the outcome of 8 years of product improvement and innovation. Upgraded Smooth Ride Suspension (SRS) provides a smooth comfortable ride and advanced stability. Additional standard features include LED fender lights, a USB charger, and drive wheel color accents.
Q4: Exceptional features, designed with the new ION Seat, which features two individual seat sizes.
With a sleek, stylish design the Quantum® Q4 is perfect for both indoor and outdoor use. It also features the ION Seat which is the perfect addition to any wheelchair and offers two individual seat sizes.
Invacare Power Wheelchairs
TDX2 Sprint Football Chair: With rear and front bumpers for added safety
The TDX2 Sprint Football Wheelchair is a perfect choice for providing incredible control and ultimate performance. It includes a standard rear and optional front bumper.
TDX SP2 Low Rider: Unrivalled low seat to ground height
The new TDX SP2 Low Rider features an unrivaled drop-down seat that reaches low to ground heights. This allows suitable positions that adapt to your driving habits, fit under tables or low surfaces and align with a variety of transfer areas.
Storm 4 Max: For larger body shapes
The Invacare Storm 4 Max is the best powerchair for those who have larger body shapes. It has an extended chassis that supports weight distribution and mobility, making it perfect to help users get around easily!
Where to Buy Your Power Chair?
Should You Buy Your Power Chair on eBay and Amazon?
We don't recommend buying power chairs on eBay and Amazon because there's no one to set your product up to suit your personal requirements. Also, you may require lots of adjustments to get you comfortable in the chair. Plus you may have issues with the quality of the product and some will come without warranties or Insurance!
Why We Are Different
We believe that everyone should have the opportunity to explore their world without restrictions. That's why we're committed not only to providing you with top-quality mobility products but also to working closely alongside you every step of the way - from the selection process down until you've got yourselves a new power scooter!
We have a price match promise.
We have 0% financing available.
What Criteria should you take into account when Buying a Power Chair?
When buying a power chair, it is important to consider your budget and needs as well as your lifestyle. You should also take into account what and where you'll be using them before making any purchases.
What if you buy a model without considering other terrain types? You also have to know where your item will be stored when not in use. Is there a need for bulky storage spaces?
We all want to save money, and buying the right power chair for you can be an excellent way of doing just that.
When choosing the best power chair for you, you should consider all of these important factors.
How Far Do You Plan to Travel with Your Power Chair?
Power chairs use a rechargeable battery but the range will vary on a single charge depending upon what kind of chair you have.
If you’re just planning on using your power chairs around the house, at work, or in shops, you won’t need the battery to go for too many miles.
However, for those who plan on using their scooter as a substitute for driving, the battery life should be considered. For example, the Rascal Rehab Optimus 2 Electric Powerchair can go up to 60 km in a single charge.
Where are You Going to Use Your Power Chair?
The UK government has rules for driving power wheelchairs. It’s important to know where you are driving your chair before choosing one.
If you don’t plan to ride your power wheelchairs on the road, you can safely choose a Class 2 wheelchair. However, if there’s any chance you might want to use it on the road, it’s best to buy a Class 3.
Are You Going to Transport Your Power Chair?
Planning to transport your wheelchair? There are a few things that you need to consider:
Where Will You Store Your Power Chair?
Storage is an important aspect of owning a power chair. The right wheelchair will depend on where you plan to store it and how often, here are some questions that should be considered before making this decision:
What is Your Body Type?
When choosing a power chair, you should also consider your body type. These questions will help you choose the chair that will be compatible with your needs:
What is Your Budget?
Power chairs can average around £2,000 to £3,000. Mobility World has a variety of electric wheelchairs that cost around £1,600 to £5,000. These questions will help you determine what you can afford:
The electric wheelchairs and power chair accessories for disabled people or those who have a long-term illness come with VAT relief. You won’t have to pay more than the selling price.
Most Common Financial Concerns when Choosing a Power Chair
How to Finance a Power Chair?
You can opt to finance a power chair, we can help! So, even if you don’t currently have enough to buy the power chair you want, it can still be within your reach now with monthly payments.
You may also qualify for the government-funded Motability Scheme, which is a mobility allowance for financing through one of the following:
How to Get a Free Power Chair through the NHS in the UK?
The National Health Service is a fantastic resource for those with mobility issues and they offer help and support as well as providing funding options through their healthcare system. You might be able to get vouchers from the NHS!
Should You Buy a Second-Hand Power Chair?
Buying used power chairs can be risky. However, there’s no need to worry if you buy from an established and reputable source!
We have a few used power chairs available if you're on the hunt for an affordable option! We want your experience with our company to be as positive as ever, that’s why we provide not only quality products but also great service.
We have high standards for what we sell and will not let you down. Our used power chairs go through an extensive, testing process so that all aspects of the product are tested before it reaches our customers' homes!
Our approved used power chairs come with the following guarantees:
Short Term Lease vs Purchase
There are several reasons you might want to do a short-term lease rather than purchase a power chair:
Most Common Questions about Power Chair Accessories
What Accessories to Choose for Power Chairs?
If you're looking for wheelchair accessories to support your wheelchair use, we probably have what you need.
Our products are from manufacturers and dealers who have specialist knowledge of their field. You can find everything here, such as wheelchair aprons, powerchair-lined capes, transfer boards, cushions, wheelchair trays, pannier bags, swivel seats, gel cushions and proform cushions. If you cannot see what you need, get in touch.
Here's a selection of what we stock and the benefits they deliver:
If you cannot see what you want, get in touch, and we still may be able to help you.
Most Common Questions about Assistance and Repairs
If I Have a Problem, Can you Repair My Power Chair Near Me?
Mobility World provides mobility scooter and power chair repair services at a FIXED PRICE. There is no call-out charge or hourly rates. We charge a fixed price to diagnose & repair, even if we have to return with parts. The only additional cost is if any parts are required. As a Motability Accredited Dealer, we follow strict manufacturers' service & repair guidelines.
For Complete Peace of Mind, we offer a 90-day guarantee on all our power chair service & repairs.
If you need either, call us at Letchworth 01462 418041 or Harrow 020 3974 2624. We know how important your power chair is to you and that’s why we prioritise service and repair so that you can get back to your independent life as soon as possible. Selling you a new power wheelchair, when just a few repairs are needed isn’t in our remit. If your chair is not operational for you now, we will get you back on it as soon as possible.
Most Common Questions About Using a Power Chair
How Do You Drive a Power Chair?
The first time you get a power wheelchair might not be easy to figure out. They're more complicated than standard manual wheelchairs and may take some getting used to but after a while, they become intuitive with just one push of your controller stick forward or back for moving around, turning left rotates counter clockwise while turning right does the opposite.
When using a power wheelchair, you must confirm that the motors are in "drive mode"; otherwise, the unit will not move. There are generally two levers on most power wheelchairs. They allow you to put the motors into "free-wheel" mode, which prevents the joystick from moving - this is a safety feature that prevents the users from rolling uncontrollably when the battery dies.
Our dedicated team is happy to help you to choose the best chair for your needs. All our Motability power chairs can be tried before you buy and you can even have a home visit.